When washing synthetic garments, tiny plastic fibers are released into the environment. The GuppyFriend Washing Bag protects garments and reduces shedding while filtering out and collecting the fibers that do break, preventing them from entering nature. Simply place any garments in there and wash away. But remember that this is only an interim solution, the best way to stop mircoplastics pollution is to avoid synthetic materials in the first place.
Delivery in 3-5 days | Free from 70 EUR | Free returns & exchanges
- Made entirely of polyamide and can be recycled in groups of identical materials (PA 6.6). First remove zip completely.
- 100% plastic-free packaging
- Size: 50 x 74 cm
- Made in China
- Put synthetic textiles into the washing bag, fill to about 2/3 full.
- Close the washing bag and put it in the washing machine.
- Add other, non-synthetic textiles or a second washing bag, and wash as usual
- After wash, take the textiles out of the bag while still wet
- Remove the collected fibers from the inside of the bag by hand and dispose properly
- Rinsing under running water - so that the collected microplastic fibres are not washed into the environment
- Washing sharp-edged objects - to avoid damaging the material
- Ironing - this can also damage the material (the crumpled surface is not a problem)
- Use in the tumble dryer - broken fibres can get out of the bag
- Hang/dry in direct sunlight - to avoid damaging the material
With each wash, countless plastic fibers from synthetic textiles are making their way from washing machines into rivers and oceans. Once in the environment, the microfibers concentrate pervasive bacteria and pollutants. They are consumed by aquatic organisms, which can result in gastrointestinal infections and blockages, reproductive problems, and starvation – problems that ultimately work their way up the food chain.
According to a study from the University of California at Santa Barbara, a city the size of Berlin releases a washrelated volume of microfibers equivalent to approx. 500,000 plastic bags - every single day.